There are so many incredible things to do in Hawaii it can be overwhelming to figure out what the must-dos are. Here is a list of 10 amazing activities that need to be on your itinerary (along with our videos):
1. Manta Ray night dive. One of the most amazing experiences of my life. Read details here and watch some of our video below:
2. Swimming with wild dolphins in the ocean. I’m not comfortable with dolphins in captivity and so this was the perfect way to see these incredible animals. Many wild dolphin excursions just go to where they sleep during the day and bother the animals that way, which is bad for the animals. We found an excursion that took the extra effort to avoid that by dropping us in the ocean along the dolphins’ path home from hunting. We swam with a pod of 50 wild dolphins and I can’t imagine any captivity dolphin activities beating that thrill. Read more here and watch some of my video below:
3. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. One of the best snorkeling sites in the world. This site is made amazing by its convenience, variety of fish, and quantity of fish. Read details here and see some of my video here:
4. Horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch. This is where the original Jurassic Park was filmed. The landscape is simply breathtaking. Read details here and see some of my video here:
5. Snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay. The undersea landscape there inspired elements of Finding Nemo. There are so many beautiful fish and coral that this is a must for snorkel fans. Read more here and watch some of my video below:
6. Volcanoes National Park tour. There is so much to see on the island that taking a 10 hour tour might be the best way for get a nice overview of everything. The Volcano tours take you through several climate zones present on the island. Read more here and watch some of my video below:
7. Black Sand Beach at Punalu’u lives up to it’s moniker: the black sand makes for a unique beach worth visiting. Read more here and watch some of my video below:
8. Hiking at Manoa Falls. Relatively easy hike through a jungle devoid of dangerous critters, and filled with beautifully large trees. Oh yeah, and there’s a nice waterfall at the top. Read details here and see some of my video here:
9. Volcano helicopter tour. We were booked on a Hilo helicopter tour, but it was cancelled at the last minute due to weather. We were booked on an open door helicopter that went in close to an active volcano. Unfortunately that tour is often cancelled due to rain.
10. Mauna Kea. We were booked on this tour (you have to book months in advance), but it was cancelled at the last minute due to weather. The Mauna Kea tours give you some of the best star filled skies you will ever see when the weather cooperates.
Honorable mention: Surfing lessons. If you want to learn how to surf, no better place than in Hawaii.
Will not bring any rocks or sand home…Peles may curse!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Haha yes… it was tempting but we opted to keep Peles happy!
LikeLiked by 1 person